Springfield, Ohio

History and Genealogy

Then & Now - Northeast Corner of Fountain & Main

Andrew Black opened Black's Opera House at the northwest corner of Fountain and Main Streets in 1868, and the first performance was the Drummer Boy of Shiloh on February 8, 1869. The 1000 seat auditorium was located on the second floor. The first floor was used as storerooms. Ross Mitchell was the owner and it was destroyed by fire in 1903.

The Fairbanks Building was erected on the location of Black's Opera House in 1906. The Fairbanks Theater, within the hotel, seated 1500-1600 people, and opened with "Ben Hur".

After the Fairbanks Hotel closed, it became the First National Bank Building and was converted from hotel rooms to office space. After several name changes, it is now the National City Bank Building.