Springfield, Ohio

History and Genealogy

Then & Now - Northeast Corner of Main & Limestone

The northeast corner of Main and Limestone Streets was originally the site of the Imperial Hotel, then the Willis House, then the St. James Hotel, then the Murray House, pictured below. Date of this photo is unknown.

The Cherry Hotel (pictured below at the far right) replaced the Murray House. Photo is from 1908.

In 1916, the Shawnee Hotel was built at a cost of $305,000. It had 175 rooms and officially opened January 31, 1917. Below is the lobby of the Shawnee Hotel.