Springfield, Ohio

History and Genealogy



Biographies

NAHAM H. ANDREWS, merchant, of the firm of Andrews, Wise & Putnam. This establishment dates back to about 1850, with W. S. Field and Nathaniel Stone as proprietors; they were succeeded by Rice & Co. in 1865 and they by Wilson, Wise & Putnam, they by Wise & Putnam, and they by the present firm; the character of the stock was at first seeds and iron, afterward agricultural implements was added, seeds dropped, and a line of hardware and stoves were kept; recently, the present firm have added furniture, making it a stove and house-furnishing establishment; since removing to their present quarters, Nos. 34 and 36 South Limestone street, they occupy two rooms, one of which is devoted to furniture, of which they make a large display; in the other is found a great variety of heating and cook stoves, ranges, queensware, and all necessary culinary utensils, together with a line of shelf hardware. Mr. Naham Andrews, the senior member of this firm, is an experienced merchant; he is a native of Massachusetts, born in 1830; early in life he began a business-career as clerk in Boston, and remembers when he received $4 per week, boarding himself — this, too, after he had become of age; but, by perseverance and fortune's favor, gradually rose in the financial scale until he became a proprietor. He came to Springfield in 1865, and has since been identified with the business of Springfield, except about four years, when he was absent doing business in Galion. He married, in 1853, Miss Lavina S. Maynard, also a native of Massachusetts.


From History of Clark County, Ohio, W.H. Beers & Co. 1881. Page 781



Biograhies Index